Phi Beta Kappa is the oldest and most prestigious academic honor society in the United States. In addition to recognizing the top liberal arts and sciences students from select colleges and universities, it advocates for the importance of a well-rounded education and fosters opportunities for PBK alumni to connect with each other.
The Phi Beta Kappa Association of Kentuckiana is one of approximately fifty alumni associations in the United States. It is the only association in Kentucky and one of only two that serve Indiana. Its members represent colleges and universities from across the country. Our goals are to promote liberal arts and sciences education and recognize student achievement locally. Membership is open to anyone who has been initiated into Phi Beta Kappa.
Most of the current members of the Association are from the Louisville and southern Indiana area. During the academic year we present various programs, often in Louisville, although we have also held programs in southern Indiana. Since 2020 we have offered a number of virtual events as well. We schedule programs both at lunch and in the evening in order to enable more people to attend.
Many of our programs are free, such as our annual program held in conjunction with the Speed Art Museum and the College of Arts and Sciences at the University of Louisville. Information about upcoming programs may be obtained at this website or via our Facebook page, which we encourage you to “Like.”
We sponsor two ongoing awards programs to promote scholastic achievement in area universities and high schools. You can support these awards programs through contributions to the scholarship fund and by serving as a presenter on behalf of our Association at high school awards programs.
Louisville-area high school counselors and teachers may obtain more information about the book award program and nominate students for the award here.
- Our Paypal account is temporarily disabled. To renew membership or make donations, please send a check to the Association at this address: Phi Beta Kappa Association of Kentuckiana, P.O. Box 5113, Louisville, KY 40255.
- In October, 2021, we went as a group to see a Racing Louisville FC soccer match! There are additional photos in the “Past Events” section of our Programs page.
- Congratulations to our 2021 Scholastic Award winners: Mary Daniels (Bellarmine University), Abby Posey, (University of Louisville), Leslie Rice (Indiana University Southeast), and Carson Coffey (Jefferson Community and Technical College).
- Did you know that youth poet laureate Amanda Gorman is a member of Phi Beta Kappa (Harvard University, 2020)? Gorman recited her poem “The Hill We Climb” during the inauguration ceremony of President Joe Biden
- Phi Beta Kappa of Kentuckiana affirms the statement from our national organization condemning the violent actions that took place at the U.S. Capitol on January 6, 2021.